Each unique Ornament piece is hand cut and hand sewn using only the best quality hemp and organic cotton fabric to ensure maximum durability and comfort.
- Why hemp?
At present we are over-reliant on dwindling fossil fuel reserves and are still busy chopping down forests at an alarming rate. Hemp is a sustainable alternative and also one of the most effective convertors of CO2 to oxygen - cleaning the air, improving the soil and helping to fight global warming.
Currently the majority of clothes and design fabrics are made from cotton. The major global fibre crop, it is also the most environmentally harmful, using 25% of the world's pesticides. As pests have become more resistant to these chemicals, larger quantities are required, poisoning both land and water. Hemp, by comparison, needs little or no insecticides or herbicides and produces three times as much fibre, making it more environmentally friendly.
Apart from living in a healthier environment, using hemp is beneficial to the individual in many ways. Hemp fibers are porous so they allow your skin to breathe, whilst also being softer, stronger and more durable than cotton.
All of the fabrics we use are GOTS & OCS® certified.
- What does this mean?
According to these ethical & environmental standards we can guarantee the following with regard to the manufacturing process of our fabrics in China:
☞ Minimum labour standards
- Working hours: 8 hours per day. From 8am to 11am then 1pm to 6pm.
- Wage: According to Chinese government's figures, the wages paid at the mill we work with are between 52% & 104% higher than the standard wages for this province.
- No use of child labour or forced labour.
- No discrimination or harassment.
- We have assurances according to the Chinese labour law
- Regular sporting activities are organised for the workers.
☞ Adding value, fair trade and sustainable livelihoods
- Our fabric manufacturers emphasis is on the environmental protection and energy saving for hemp production; constantly looking for new methods to save time and lessen the waste.
☞ Environmental standards
- The mill we work with is the leader in the hemp field, they also work as a research institute for hemp, and they follow the environment protection law of China for production.